DIY Mossy Door Decor

Monday, March 4, 2013

Hello All! I'm back with an incredibly easy, relatively cheap, and super impressive (if I say so myself) DIY St. Patrick's Day door decor.



This is a very easy project, but looks like it was store bought (always a bonus!)!

Materials:

1. L-U-C-K wooden letters of your choice (I purchased mine at Michael's)
2. Green craft paint (I used sage green)
3. Sheet of moss (I found the best to be at Hobby Lobby)
4. Spray adhesive
5. Hot glue gun and glue
6. Scissors and paint brush
7. Green pipe cleaners
8. Green ribbon


Begin by painting the letters, taking special care to paint the edges. My tip for letting the paint dry? Use thread spools to raise them off the table!


Once the letters are dry, open the sheet of moss (on newspaper... it sheds like crazy!), moss-side down and lay out your letters to make sure they will fit. Then spray each letter with spray adhesive and press down on the back of the moss sheet.


Then (carefully) cut out each letter. You won't want to trace the letters with a marker because the marker will leave marks on the edge of the letters. But you could trace them BEFORE you paint them.


Once all of the letters are cut out, lay them out how you want, making sure to have a touching point between each letter. Add a dot of hot glue to the sides of each letter where they touch. For more stability, use green pipe cleaners (Ricky's favorite toy) to connect the letters using hot glue. Also attach the ribbon you will use as the hanger to the back using hot glue.


Once the glue has dried, flip it over and you are done!


I used a gilttery shamrock to cover the clip I hung the sign on.


What do you think?! Are you doing anything for your door for St. Patrick's Day or do you prefer Easter... or just Spring in general? Have you had much experience with moss? I think it looks okay in small doses, but can look tacky in too big of applications.

Share you links in the comments of your St. Patrick's Day door decor!

I link up with:

Made by you Monday | Nifty Thrifty Tuesday | Handmade Tuesdays | Show me What You Got | Masterpiece Monday | Make the Scene Monday | Just Something I Whipped Up | Nifty Thrifty Sunday | Market Yourself Monday | Motivate Me Monday | Monday Funday | Craft-O-Maniac Monday | Sunday Showcase Party | Tutorials and Tips Link Party | Get Your Craft On | Your Gonna Love It | Knock Our Socks Off Party | Take-A-Look Tuesday | Mad Skills Link Party | Anti-Procrastination Tuesday | The Inspiration Board | Show Me What Ya Got | Time to Shine | How to Tuesday | The DIY Dreamer | Show Me Wednesday | Lil Luna Link Party | Your Whims Wednesday | We Did It Wednesday | Whatever Goes Wednesdays | Show & Share | What I Whipped Up Wednesday | Treasure Hunt Thursday | Crafty Soiree | Under $100 Linky Party | Creative Juice Thursday | Real Family Fun | Blog Stalking Thursday | Transformation Thursday | The 36th Avenue | Somewhat Simple Link Party | Catch a Glimpse Thursday | Thrifty to Nifty Thursdays | Stop, Look, and Link Party | Crafty Thursday Obsessions | You! Inspired! | Everything But the Kitchen Sink | Redoux Link Party | St. Patrick's Day Craft Off |  Weekend Bloggy Reading | Friday Flair Link Party | Photography Inspiration | Pinworthy Projects | Anything Goes | Chic and Crafty Party | Tickled Pink | BFF Open House Link Party | Simply Link Party | Weekend Show Off Party | Keep Calm and Link Up | Power of Pinterest | Weekend Wrap Up Party | Saturday Nite Special | Strut Your Stuff Saturday | Sundae Scoop | Show and Tell Saturday | Finding the Pretty & Delicious | Serenity Saturday | Think Pink Sundays | Colorful Spring Crafts Blog Hop | What I Learned Wednesday


51 comments:

  1. I'm not usually a craft person, but I LOVE this. My last name is Kelly so that may help. I love the grass texture! So cute!!!!!!! I'm going to have to make this for our patty's day party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How funny... I think only O'Kelly could make you more Irish! Be sure to come back and show me a picture of your final project! Best of luck with your St. Patty's Day Party!

      Delete
  2. This is GREAT!!!! Love the moss! Easy and fun! Thanks for sharing! I'm a new follower. Happy Creating, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thank you for stopping by and leaving such a sweet comment! Thank you for following along. I'm going to swing by your blog tonight! Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. I love this!!! This is so cute!!!

    Take Care,
    Mandy Jean
    www.mandyjeanchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome!!! Perfect for the luck o the Irish!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely agree! Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Awesome!!! Perfect for the luck o the Irish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do not decorate for St. Pat's, but you did such a great job with this door decor that I may try it for something else. Luck be with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! Such a creative idea and a way to bring in some spring color!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous3/05/2013

    Hello, I enjoy reading all of your post. I wanted to write a little comment to support you.



    Look at my blog ... best Diet Plan for women

    ReplyDelete
  9. Way cute! I've never tried anything with moss, but it looks comparatively easy. Unfortunately, it is basically impossible to hang wreaths on my door where I live now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please link up to my party here :) http://diycraftyprojects.com/2013/03/whatcha-work-up-wednesday-23.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so cute! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I LOVE this...simple and yet festive!

    I'd love for you to share this at my March Madness Party.

    http://4you-withlove.blogspot.com/2013/03/march-madness-party-link-up-begins.html

    Happy Hump Day!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cute St Pattys project. Thanx for sharing at THt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out perfect! I love the moss! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea! I love having little decorations our for the holidays and this looks like just the thing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great idea - LOVE the moss covered idea - thanks for sharing!
    Visiting from A Little Knick Knack
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks darling! Great tutorial as well.
    Thanks for linking up at Real Family Fun.
    KC

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fun, simple, and cute! Love it! Thanks for sharing at Pinworthy Projects.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this! Such a fabulous St. Patrick's decoration!

    Hopped over from Keep Calm & Link Up

    ~Shelly
    www.dolendiaries.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is the bomb! I've seen all the printables & signs, but this is even another step up from that. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is nice and it is something new.

    It is nice to meet you. I followed you via Twitter,Pinterest and GFC.

    I would like to invite you to join the fun at Linkin' with my Ladies Bloghop.

    Bloghop Link:
    http://www.pursuitoffunctionalhome.com/2013/03/my-first-ever-blog-hop-with-linkin-with.html

    I hope to see you there.

    Judy
    http://www.pursuitoffunctionalhome.com/
    http://www.kusinaniinday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Newest follower here, I found your blog through the blog hop! You have a wonderful blog, I can't wait to read more.

    You can find me at meandmr.com

    -Melanie @meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this LUCK take on the classic "LOVE"...! Great idea!

    hugs x
    Crystelle

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great sign!!! I never knew moss came in sheets. Thanks so much for that tip. Thank you for linking up to Sunday best. :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is super cute! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great project! Love the pipe cleaner idea, to keep a buffer between the door.
    Visiting from Inspire Me Monday!
    Carolyn
    http://www.ccmcafeeperspective.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had no idea there was such a thing as a moss matt... This is adorable!!!

    I hopped over from Ginger Jamboree. So glad I did!

    ~Cheryl
    http://snaps-of-ginger.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a fun craft! You are so clever. Love the moss covered letters.

    ReplyDelete
  29. SOooooooo fun! I love how you tipped the U.
    And moss totally reminds me of Ireland...!!
    :)
    xx Crystelle
    Crystelle Boutique

    ReplyDelete
  30. This turned out so so adorable. I love things covered in moss and your LUCK letters look great! Thank you so much for sharing at our link it or lump it party!

    Amy @ http://www.delineateyourdwelling.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. oH MY! 40 comments! Do you have time to link this to Friday Favorites at http://imnotatrophywifecom
    so cute! great tutorial too! laura

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love moss projects. I might have just enough left over from a project to make one with small letters. Feel free to drop by and say hi anytime. Theresa @DearCreatives

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi,
    Just wanted to let you know I am sharing your wonderful post in my 100 Something Green St. Patricks Day RoundUp http://wp.me/p466oG-11f with a link back to your original post plus pinned to my St. Patricks Day Board! Have a terrific weekend!
    Cathy from APeekIntoMyParadise.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm loving these mossy luck letters! What a unique St. Patty's project!

    ReplyDelete
  35. SUPER CUTE! This is one of my "knockouts"! Thanks SO much for linking up to Hit Me With Your Best Shot! Hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  36. So fun for St. Patrick's Day - a great way to decorate at home! I featured it in my Whimsy Wednesday roundup!

    You can see it here...
    http://www.ohmy-creative.com/holiday-crafts/st-patricks-day/st-patricks-day-luck-leprechaun-crafts/

    Hope to see you back again this Tuesday!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a fun decoration! It looks so cute on your door! Thanks for linking up to our link party, and be sure to join us this Thursday again!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Friday Feature at I'm Not a Trophy Wife! Thanks for linking up and please link up this Thursday night!!! laura

    ReplyDelete
  39. So cute and easy! I love how you connected them with pipe cleaners. I never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  40. this is adorable! I did a moss letter last year but didn't think to hang it on my door!

    ReplyDelete
  41. I love this! I think I'm going to try it just as a summer time thing!
    I would love for you to stop by my blog and join our Something to Talk About link party!
    Happy Spring!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments! Thank you for taking the time to send a quick note!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs